The Operation

Around a day before the operation, the patient would have to go to the hospital to get used to the hospital and get last minute things done. After a long time in the car we arrived at the hospital in Stanmore. I really wasn’t that worried for some reason even though I knew that it was actually happening. I guess I just wanted to get fixed. We went inside and got showed to the room that we would be staying in. You get to take one of your parents in the room with you at night and I had my mum come in the same room with me while my dad was in a another room. I was really excited actually. The room had one hospital bed that was remote controlled to suit how you like to lay down. There was a bathroom and a roll out bed next to my bed. The day was very chilled and we did face masks in the evening and had snacks but I had to have a quick blood test which was completely fine.

The very next day was the day of the real surgery. I remember my mum asking how I was feeling and I guess the way I can describe it is getting in line for a crazy rollercoaster. Nervous, scared but excited. We didn’t know when I was due to have surgery as there was other kids but I was meant to go 3rd but that ending up changing.

Some people came in to help me if I have any concerns with the surgery and to know that I shouldn’t be worried. That seemed like it was over pretty quick as they came in with the hospital gown and super tight socks. This is where it be an to get so real. I was wheeled out to the room where I was going to be put to sleep. I was shaking and absolutely terrified. I felt like I just wanted to burst into tears and run away. I guess it’s just the fear of the unknown. I didn’t know what was really going to happen to me. I can’t even describe the fear I felt. We got to the room. I just couldn’t believe this was actually happening but my mum was there with me which made me a lot more comfortable.This was the moment I have been waiting for for months. I just wanted to get out of that room more than anything. They played music of my choice as they put me to sleep. They put a needle through my hand and tbh I didn’t even care about the pain at this point I was just so ready for this to be done with. I was now in tears. Once the needle was in they took it out so now there was just a tube in my hand. As I was panicking so much they had to put a mask over me to help me relax. Before I knew it I was knocked out. Straight as they put the mask on I just fell asleep.

After 4/5 hours later, I woke up. This was such an odd feeling. (I was super high from all of the medication.) everything was extremely blurry. Everyone was just blobs. I kept asking if it was over and if I had the surgery. I was so tired. I had never felt as tired as I did in them moments. It felt like every few seconds I would fall asleep and then wake up. My mum and dad were there along with a nurse. I was in the recovery room. Apparently everything I was saying was hilarious but I really can’t remember most of it. I remember singing really badly and doing Dora the explorer impressions.( and saying I’ll be the new Michael Jackson πŸ˜‚) I did a lot of sleeping that day. After awhile my vision came back. Pain wise I was just uncomfortable. I felt no pain otherwise. I couldn’t move as I was super weak. I had this button that I could press if I needed more painkillers and through the tubes in my hand it would flood into my body. It’s pretty amazing how it does that. I had to drink a lot of water as I was extremely dehydrated as I wasn’t aloud to drink or eat at all before my surgery.

The day after surgery wasn’t as great. I had to flipped onto my side every few hours but it was extremely hard and super painful. They would hold on to me and push me over. It was horrible. I felt so sore and the pain was unimaginable. I was always uncomfortable no matter how I lay down which didn’t really help anything. I was able to eat that day which they said is really amazing as most people don’t have their appetite for a few days. My mum and dad were super helpful with anything I needed and I really love them for being able to help me through all of this pain. They very quickly wanted to try make me stand up. As you would think I definitely DIDNT want to try. When I did they made me try push myself up with my arms while I’m on my side. It was awful and excruciating as well as being super dizzy like the world was spinning around me. I was in agony as I sat there. I was wasn’t at all able to bend my back at that time so I was propped up really straight. I started to cry. This was when I realised recovery is not going to be an easy task. I managed to pull myself to my feet after a quick countdown. Standing up never felt so weird. My back was stiff and uncomfortable standing up and I attempted a few steps. (Obviously with nurses holding me) I wanted to lay back down as it took all my energy to just simply stand up. The night was ok. I had a button to press if I ever needed a nurse in the night to get me some water or something.

The next day I stood up again and managed to sit in a seat! Whilst sitting in that seat I had terrible pain as I expected. I don’t wanna go over every single time it hurt or I cried because I feel like you can generally tell that it was agonising and painful and I obviously cried a lot during the pain. I had to get the tubes taken out of my hand and start taking tablets. This made everything so much more painful but they topped up the painkillers whenever I needed them.

Everyday seemed to nearly be the same with trying to get up and taking tablets but eventually they got me to walk around the ward. Walking felt crazy baring in mind I’ve spent probably like 11 hours or less in bed and that’s only in the day. As I practised walking more it got so much easier. I was even able to go play some board games and things in the playroom they had. Luckily my friends were great and supportive and face timed me when I was feeling up to it. My grandparents and brother came to see me and gave me balloons and presents. My room was covered in cards and lovely presents from all my friends and family. I felt so cared for and loved with all of this support surrounding me.

Like I said the days were nearly exactly the same but in more detail I would wake up have painkillers, breakfast, a doctor and then another doctor and then other people and it went on like that until the afternoon. It seemed like as soon as I think I can rest some other doctors came in. Don’t get me wrong all of these people were amazing and helpful and I really admire them for what they do all day and night.

The day before I went back I was feeling pretty good. I could walk. The pain was definitely still there but I was capable of doing a lot more although I still couldn’t get out of bed by myself. I had an X-ray that day to see what my spine looked like and the before and after is incredible

I was and still am so amazed at what they had done to my spine.

The very next day I could finally leave! We already had our stuff packed and the doctors gave us painkillers for home and a few tools that will help me with things like picking up stuff and sitting on a toilet(a raised toilet seat.) I was so happy that I could finally leave and go home and see my doggies and brother and my grandad who was there at the time to take care of my brother. Getting in the car was funny. I banged my head trying to get in as I underestimated how much taller I was going to be πŸ˜‚ When I got home I was making sure to walk around a lot to help get my flexibility in my back and shoulders again.

Now I just want to say a hugeeeeeee thank you to everyone who had helped and supported me through this whole experience of having scoliosis. It’s now been a month since surgery and I can’t describe how much better I feel! I feel amazing and I can do everything just as well as I could before surgery. I have the plasters taken off of my scar and it’s healing super well. I actually really love my scar and feel proud of it. If by any chance there is ever anyone reading having scoliosis I want them to know that it all works out for the better and shouldn’t be worried about any surgery or anything and that applies for any condition that needs surgery. There is still more of this blog to come! I will be able to post about getting the rods in my back lengthened which straightens my spine. Just thinking about how far I’ve come and what I’ve been through makes me cry as I am so appreciative of the technology that is in this day and age for being able to fix my spine. Once again one million thanks to people supporting em through this β™‘β™‘β™‘β™‘β™‘β™‘β™‘β˜»β˜»β˜»

5 thoughts on “The Operation

  1. You are just an amazing young lady!
    Me and everyone else we know is soooo proud of you. It was a tough week but you got through it and was so so brave every step of the way! Your an absolute super star and I love you to the moon and back my beautiful brave girl xxxxxxxxxx

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Darling Faithy. You really have done so incredibly well in such a short space of time. Love you so much beautiful girl. So very proud of you. Grandma xxxxx

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s